Mackerel diet is not a new thing anymore, yet I only learned about it last month from a TV program. The program was about eating canned mackerel in brine, effect of EPA and GLP-1 level in the body. Canned mackerel > EPA > GLP-1 > SLIMMING! Yes, slimming down by just consuming mackerel like three times in a week. I had never pay much attention at the canned food section prior to this, it made me stopped-by and look for it seriously. It was out of stock, not only at the supermarket nearby but also at a few supermarkets further from my place. Finally, I managed to get a few cans almost a month later. For more information about GLP-1 and its health benefits, please consult Dr Google as I am not a health professional.
It was my first time to taste mackerel in brine, surprisingly delicious all of us loved it. Now, I am trying to incorporate it in our diet. Of course, it can be eaten straight from the can just like canned tuna. However, it will be boring to have the same taste three times a day. Hence, I am substituting canned tuna with mackerel, and creating new home-cook recipes using canned mackerel too. Japanese like to plant bitter-gourd in summer, to create a green curtain for their home and provide shade during hot summer days. Bitter-gourd is too bitter for you? To get a less-bitter bitter-gourd choose the one with light green colour. The darker the colour is, the more bitter it will be. Remember this.
In this recipe, I used an onion for its sweetness to reduce the bitterness a little bit. Simple ingredients, easy too cook, and a nutritious dish. Let's start cooking!
1 bitter-gourd (about 30cm in length)
1 medium size onion
1 canned mackerel
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cooking sake
1 tbsp mirin
Salt to taste
- Cut bitter-gourd lengthwise, discard seeds then cut into bite size.
- Peel and cut onion into similar size and shape bitter-gourd. [Tips: Similar size and shape for better presentation.]
- Fill a pot with water, bring to a boil. Add in liquid from the canned mackerel, sake and mirin.
- Add in onion and bitter-gourd, put the lid on and cook with low-medium heat until bitter-gourd is cooked but still in shape.
- Add in mackerel, and salt to taste. Cook for a minute or two.
- Transfer to serving plate, serve warm.